Friday, July 11, 2008

First Chair

When I was there from 1969-1971, Cody High School had a gifted band director, Mr. Joseph Poniatowski (sp?). He demanded the best from everyone, even those who were marginally talented. Sometimes it was difficult, painful even, to sit through an intense pre-concert practice. It was worth it. We played our hearts out and Mr. P directed with a passion suitable for the best orchestra in the world.
I learned some valuable lessons in band.
For one thing, I have come to realize the importance of practice. Though not without exception, it is true that what you do in practice is what you will do in preformance. If you want to play sports or perform in public, you must practice. And practice seriously.
Another lesson is that some poeple are more talented than others. Maybe success is 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration. But talent is a gift and not everyone is equally gifted or talented. So what? Do your best. Try. Work. Even if you're not particularly good at what you enjoy to do. Last night my oldest son and my future son-in-law played their first indoor soccer game for a company team in a summer league. They got shellacked. It was 30 somethings versus 19 year olds. Who's got the energy of a nineteen year old? Other 19 year olds! That may not be talent, but the point is the same. My son and son-in-law can still do their best and have fun (to a point), can't they?
One other lesson came on a day I can remember vividly. At least one moment I remember. I was in the band office and Mr. P told me to wind up a microphone cord (it may have been an extrension cord). As I started to do what he asked, he scolded me for not doing it the way he wanted. See, cords like that have to be twisted a little as they're wound up or they'll be a mess. I didn't know that. Mr. P assumed that I would. He didn't stop and teach me. He just grabbed the cord and did it himself. I can still remember the feeling of smallness and embarrassment of that moment. I think I've taken the time in my life to stop and teach rather than yell and grab. At least most of the time.
Don't get me wrong.
I should have learned more. Sometime soon, I'll tell you about the worst thing I ever did in high school.
In the mean time, practice-have fun-be patient.

"A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people. Gently instruct those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change those people’s hearts, and they will learn the truth."
2 Ti 2:24-25 NLT

1 comment:

Mindelynn said...

Thank you for all you do. God uses you in so many ways that you may never know. Just know that you are so very appreciated and loved.